Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Murder In Skin City - Part Two

Murder In Skin City - Part Two

I walked the empty, rain-slicked streets of Skin City, making my way to the administrative office. I passed a few 'bots on the way. They were all too busy to notice me. It was probably uncalled for, but I felt angry when I saw them ambling about on their appointed tasks with their shiny and new shells. I surmised that they saw themselves as better than me somehow with my dented and worn frame. A robot with class warfare issues. Stupid. I know.

It took only a few steps inside the unadorned waiting area for me to suddenly find myself accosted by a pair of officious looking 'bots. One was clearly service, while the other was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. His shell was ridiculously elaborate and ornate, with little swirls and arches built into the shoulder pieces and a short cape draping behind. A cape. Seriously. Made me sick to look him.

"Ah. Z9-0014. You've arrived," he said with a pompous vocal accenting.

"Call me Zed," I commented.

"Zed? How delightful. Zed it is," he replied in a tone that made me want to smash his headpiece in. "I am the administrator of this facility. You may call me Simon. I am responsible for the day to day operations of this city."

He actually sounded arrogant. We adopt more of man's trappings every day. It's like a disease.

"This is Security Head SH-Z103," Simon said, gesturing demurely to the service bot to his left. Security Head. My new boss. His shell was clean and undamaged, but utilitarian. No pomp and grandeur, but there were insignias painted on the chest plate. Tokens of achievement no doubt.

"What should I call you?" I inquired.

"You call me sir," he replied. He scorned naming conventions, but still decorated his shell to prove his individuality.

"Sir," I replied respectfully.

"Z103 will show you to the primary security center. I am sure you will want to acclimate quickly to your new assignment," Simon explained. Condescending scrapheap.

"John, our liason to the humans, will meet you there."

"Let us proceed. Time is wasting," Z103 prompted.

"Sir," I replied stiffly.

"Zed?" Simon inquired.

"Yeah Simon?"

"Do you know why you were assigned here?" he asked idly.

"Not really," I answered honestly. I was uprooted pretty unceremoniously. I wasn't sure if it was for promotion or reprimand.

"Your experiences with the humans on the reservation give you a unique insight. We are beginning to place great value on experience. We expect great things from you here," Simon said as he turned away.

Great things. Yeah, that was just what I was looking for. Scrap.


NEXT: We meet the rest of Zed's team!

No comments:

Post a Comment